Create Winning Process Docs: Use Templates
In this Series…
I’m covering the 25 best ways to start documenting your systems and processes in a way that your team will love so your business can grow and scale.
Step 6: Use Templates
In the past, my team would start process docs the same way every time: with a blank page. This immediately took the wind out of their sails for many reasons, including:
- Blank pages are daunting.
- Blank pages make you feel like they need to be filled with words.
- When you fill a blank page with words, you must spend time organizing and structuring them (which also takes a skill that not everyone possesses).
Now, we provide a starting point for every process doc by creating a library of templates that we use to create any type of process doc we need.
Instead of starting with a blank page, we simply fill in the blanks.
All the energy that went into brain-dumping words, organizing them, adding headings, bolding, etc., can now be spent ensuring the information is clear and concise.
Instead of ending up with a plain-text doc, we have prompts for videos and annotated images.
The templates provide the structure, and our team provides the content. The wheel is already invented for them. They only need to use it.
What is a Template?
A template is simply a starting point for your process docs. Here are a few examples of some of our more popular templates in Arvo:
When Using Templates
There are a few things to consider when building and implementing a template library.
- Train your team to find and start with a template.
- Ensure that multiple templates aren’t created for the same purpose. Instead, improve the existing one before making a new one.
- Spend time getting the templates right. Spending more time on the template provides equal time savings each time it’s used.
- Create a system for “template requests.”
- Use your team members who have the best skills in creating readable documentation to create the templates.
- Use templates instead of starting with a blank page.
- Ensure you have a solid solution for developing your template library.
- Spend time on your templates to get the best return.